- Tom King
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) sour cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) almond extract
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) vanilla
- 1-2/3 cups (400 ml) sifted cake flour
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) (finely ground) unblanched almonds
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 12 tbsp (175 ml) unsalted butter (must be softened)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Grease one 9 inch cake pan, line bottom with waxed paper or parchment, and then grease again and dust with flour.
- In medium bowl, lightly combine eggs, 1/4 of the sour cream and almond extract.
- In large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Add the butter and remaining sour cream.
- Mix on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium speed (high if using hand mixer) and beat for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides. Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches, beating 20 seconds after each addition. Scrape down sides.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth surface with spatula.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until wire cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Loosen sides with small knife and unmold.
- Allow to cool completely before wrapping airtight.
- Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, fresh fruit, or a light buttercream frosting.
- The cake should start to shrink from the sides of the pan only after
removal from the oven.