- 1 small head cabbage
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground beef
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). ground pork
- 1 cup (225 ml) cooked rice
- 1 tsp (5 ml). minced garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). can stewed tomatoes
- 1 10 oz (280 grm). can condensed tomato soup
- 1 tsp (5 ml). sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml). sweet basil
- Cut off 8 cabbage leaves and cook in large pot of water until just tender (do not overcook.)
- Remove from water and set aside to cool.
- Finely chop 4 cups (950 ml) of remaining cabbage and put into medium saucepan.
- Add tomato soup, stewed tomato, green pepper, basil, sugar, salt and pepper, green pepper and garlic.
- Cook until cabbage is tender.
- Meat Filling:
- Combine meats, chopped onion, rice and salt and pepper.
- Fill each leaf with a heaping tbsp of meat.
- Lay each roll seam down into a baking dish.
- Pour tomato sauce over cabbage rolls, cover and bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for about 1 hour.
- Uncover and turn up oven to 450 degrees (225 C.) to brown for 15 minutes.
- This is my mother's Polish recipe. It can also be made with ground
turkey breast, but you should add a small tomato, chopped to the meat.
It's the sauce that makes this delicious.