- A moist apple bread with crumb topping
- Barb Lindholm
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) margarine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) margarine
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped, peeled apples
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chopped walnuts
- To make streusel:
- Mix together flour, sugars, cinnamon.
- Cut in margarine.
- Set aside.
- For bread:
- Cream margarine and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk.
- Fold in apples and nuts.
- Just before baking, top with streusel.
- Bake in a greased 9 inch by 5 inch loaf pan at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 55 minutes, or until loaf tests done.
- This bread is a great moist dessert - sometimes streusel sinks down a
bit making a wonderful cinnamon "filling" -- It's really good served warm.