Karen's Vegetarian Lasagna
- Veggie Lasagna with red sauce, contains eggplant
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 14 lasagna noodles
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 2 cans Hunts Italian Tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) basil
- 1 tsp (5 ml). oregano
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) dry cooking sherry
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) salsa
- 2 bunches of spinach, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- lots of grated soy cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Mix refried beans with salsa in pan and heat.
- Heat oil in large pan and saute garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Add eggplant and stir fry until eggplant looks tender (but not too tender).
- Add zucchini, basil, oregano, sherry and stir fry for another 10 minutes.
- Add the cans of tomato sauce and tomato paste.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add some sauce to lasagna pan, place 4 noodles over sauce, add more sauce on top.
- Cover with 4 more noodles, add refried beans and salsa mixture on top with spinach, add a little sauce over this layer and cover with 4 more noodles.
- Add remainder of sauce over the noodles.
- Sprinkle cilantro and grated soy cheese over the top.
- Place in oven and cook for 30 to 35 minutes.
- I made this lasagne last night, and I can honestly say it is the best
recipe I have found yet. I was a bit sketchy about the refried beans,
but they tasted wonderful!!