- Chili with chicken, white beans and cheese base
- Nancy Bendix
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 15 oz (420 grm). cans cannellini beans or great northern white beans
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 4 oz (112 grm). cans chopped green chilies
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground oregano
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) chicken stock/broth
- 8 oz (224 grm). Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salsa or picante sauce
- sour cream
- In heavy large pan cover chicken with cold water.
- Bring to simmer; cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain, cool, cut into cubes.
- Heat oil in same large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions; saute until translucent.
- Add garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and saute about 2 minutes, stirring together.
- Add drained cans of beans and chicken stock; stir gently to mix.
- Add cubed chicken; stir gently and heat.
- Just before serving, add grated Monterey Jack cheese; stir until cheese melts.
- Ladle into serving bowls.
- Garnish with grated cheddar, salsa and sour cream.
- This chili is usually a huge hit. I pass the grated cheddar, salsa and
sour cream separately so people can garnish it the way they like it.
And I usually serve it with corn muffins and a green salad.