- Jo Kervin
- 24 medium hard shelled clams
- 6 cups (1425 ml) cold water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) salt pork, diced
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) onions, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) potatoes, diced
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml). salt and dash of pepper
- 1 cup (225 ml) liquid reserved from cooking clams
- 2 cups (475 ml) light cream
- Wash clams thoroughly in a large saucepan.
- Pour cold water over clams and bring them to a boil.
- Boil gently for 10 minutes, or until the shells open.
- Remove clams from shells and chop.
- Strain the liquid through a cheesecloth, reserving 1 cup (225 ml).
- Fry salt pork until golden.
- Add onions and cook until tender and transparent.
- Add chopped clams, potatoes, salt, pepper and clam liquid.
- Cook about l5 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and add light cream. Gently heat through without boiling.