- 2 8 oz (224 grm). cans minced clams
- 1/4 lb (.1 kg) salt pork, diced
- 4 cups (950 ml) diced raw potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped onion
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) half & half
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk (for flour mixture)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) salt
- Reserve 1/2 cup (125 ml) clam liquid.
- In sauce pan, cook salt pork until crisp.
- Remove any lean portion of pork and reserve.
- Add potatoes, water, onion and clam liquid to drippings.
- Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add clams, 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) milk and half & half .
- Blend the 1/4 cup (60 ml) of milk with flour and stir into chowder.
- Heat to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and meaty pork.
- This is a simple recipe, but a hearty one. Have been making
for a number of years.