- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter or margarine
- 2 cups (475 ml) uncooked instant rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz) tomato with liquid, cut up
- 1 cup (225 ml) boiling water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add rice and stir until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
- By adding 1 lb ground beef to this recipe, it can be a filling
for stuffed green peppers.