Mackinaw Island Beef Pasties
- 3 cups (700 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) lard (no substitute)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vinegar
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 4 carrots, finely diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1/2 small rutabagas, diced
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). ground beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- beef gravy, optional
- Blend flour, lard and salt.
- Combine egg, water and vinegar and add to flour mixture.
- Knead lightly and divide dough into 6 equal balls.
- Roll each ball to about 7 inch diameter.
- Assemble the pasties in the following order:
- On half of each circle place in layers a portion of potatoes, carrots, onions, rutabaga and beef.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot with butter.
- Fold crust in half to cover filling; seal and flute edge.
- Bake for 1 hour in pre-heated 350 degree (175 C.) oven.
- I generally spoon on Heinze Beef Gravy.
- These pasties can be frozen before or after baking.
- The original Mackinaw pasties call for bite size sirloin
steak pieces. I prefer to use ground beef.