Hearty Beef N' Potato Casserole
- U.S. Armed Forces Cook Book
- 4 cups (950 ml) frozen potato rounds
- 1 lb (.5 kg). lean ground beef
- 1 10 oz (280 grm). package frozen, chopped broccoli, thawed and cooked
- 1 2.8 oz (78.4 grm). can french fried onions
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (optional)
- 1 10-3/4 oz (301 grm). can cream of celery soup (or whatever "cream of" you have)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) shredded cheese
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- Place potatoes on bottom and up the sides of a 9 X 13 inch casserole.
- Bake, uncovered at 400 degrees (200 C.) for 10 minutes.
- Brown the beef, breaking up in large chunks while cooking; drain.
- Place beef, broccoli, 1/2 can onions and tomato in potato shell.
- Combine soup, milk, 1/2 cup (125 ml) cheese and seasonings; pour over mixture.
- Bake, covered, at 400 degrees (200 C.) for 20 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheese and onions; bake uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes longer or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with fresh green beans, or a large salad. My 2 guys who are
not fond of casserole dishes scarf this up in a minute!