Pfeffernusse - a German Christmas Cookie
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) molasses
- 3 drops anise oil and 1 tbsp (15 ml) hot water (mixed)
- 3-1/3 cups (775 ml) flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cloves
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Mix shortening, sugar, egg, molasses, and anise mixture.
- Blend dry ingredients; mix in gradually with hands.
- Knead dough until right consistency for molding.
- If dough seems too soft, refrigerate until firm.
- Mold into balls 3/4 inch in diameter; place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake about 12 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Cookies harden upon standing.
- Store in airtight container with slice of apple to mellow them.