- Patty Johnson
Serves/Makes:One round loaf
- 1 cup (225 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml). sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) raisins (optional)
- 3/4 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 1-1/2 Tbsp (20 ml). cornstarch
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Stir in raisins and enough buttermilk to make soft dough.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Shape into round loaf, about 6-1/2 inches in diameter.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- You can sprinkle a little corn meal on pan to prevent sticking.
- Cut an X about 1/4" through center of loaf with floured knife.
- Allow loaf to rest 10 minutes.
- Bake in 375 degree (200 C.) oven until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Brush with margarine if desired.
- I found this recipe in a cookbook put together by the
Sailors of Snug Harbor, in Sea Level North Carolina, called
Tasty Harbor Favorites.