- This is an adaptation of a recipe from the White House during the Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon administrations. Favorite of Jackie Onassis.
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) finely minced shallots
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dry white wine
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups (475 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). white pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 oz (168 grm). shredded imported gruyere cheese
- 1 pre-baked 10-inch pastry shell with a high rim (preferrably in a quiche dish)
- Place shallots and white wine in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over low heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs and cream together very gently.
- Fold in shallot mixture and spices.
- Sprinkle cheese over bottom of pre-baked crust.
- Pour in custard mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 35 to 45 minutes, or until custard is set.
- Cover edges of pie crust with foil if crust gets too dark.
- Let quiche set for 10 minutes prior to serving.