- One pan eggplant and vegetable dish
- Sue Moscaritolo
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Olive Oil
- 1 lb (.5 kg). hamburger (optional)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- (Please read directions before cutting up all vegetables)
- 1 lb (.5 kg). eggplant, pared and julienne strips
- 2 green bell or italian cooking peppers, julienne strips
- 2 cups (475 ml) (1 lb (.5 kg). can) tomatoes, sliced, or 5 ripe tomatoes peeled and sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, julienned
- 2 tsp (10 ml). sugar
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml). basil, dried and crushed
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- Dash black pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) snipped parsley or 2 tsp (10 ml). dried
- Paprika to taste
- Curry powder to taste
- Heat oil in 4 quarts (3775 ml) saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic, saute until onion is transparent.
- If using hamburger, fry now and drain.
- Wash peppers and cut-up. Saute peppers until tender.
- Wash zucchini, eggplant and tomatos.
- Prepare and add them each one at a time, and continue cooking; stirring after each ingredient.
- Cover pan and simmer for 15 minutes, slowly, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, basil, salt, pepper while putting tomatoes in pot.
- Add paprika and curry powder to taste.
- Serve in bowls, as ratatoule is liquidy.
- This is a combination of a couple of recipes and during Lent we leave out
the hamburger. It is great with and without the hamburger.