Cream of Green Chile Soup
- Sue D.
- 1 Tbs (15 ml). olive oil or butter
- 2 gloves garlic, chopped
- 8 oz (224 grm). chopped green chiles with juices
- 1 pint homemade chicken stock or 1 can with water to make 1 pint
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) cream - don't substitute milk as it will curdle.
- salt or seasoned salt to taste
- Cilantro leaves (optional) garnish
- Saute garlic in oil over low heat just until softened.
- Add ingredients up to and including tomato. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add cream and seasoning, and heat through.
- If thicker soup is desired, dissolve 1 tbsp (15 ml) corn starch in 2 tbsp (30 ml) water and add until desired consistency is reached.
- Garnish bowls with cilantro leaves.
- Green chile is a staple, like salt, here in New Mexico.
Try also making this a little thinner, with or without cream, adding
leftver chicken or pork and some chopped green onion tops. Ladle over
crisp corn chips (Doritos, etc.) garnished with small cubes of jack or
cheddar cheese and cilantro. Or, just use your imagination! A day w/o
green chile is a day w/o sunshine!