- Carol Welte
- 1 pkg. (1/4 oz) yeast
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) all purpose flour
- 2/3 tsp (3 ml) salt
- 1-1/3 tbsp (20 ml) sugar
- 2-1/2 tbsp (35 ml) margarine
- 1-1/3 cups (325 ml) warm/hot water
- 1 egg plus 1 tbsp (15 ml) water for eggwash
- If you have a bread machine, place all ingredients (except egg) in machine. (If not, just knead away)
- Select "manual" and start machine.
- When kneading cycle is complete, turn out on floured board.
- Cut into 24 strips.
- Roll each strip into 18 to 20 inch ropes.
- Shape into pretzel and place on baking sheets.
- Cover, let rise about 45 minutes.
- Beat egg and water together, and brush each pretzel with eggwash.
- Sprinkle with topping(s) of your choice (kosher salt, garlic or onion salt, parmesan cheese)
- Bake in preheated oven at 475 degrees (250 C.) for 12 minutes.
- I sometimes add 1/2 cup each chopped ham and grated cheddar cheese to dough
mixture. Jalapeno peppers would be good, too. Better make a double batch.
These go fast!