- From: Betty Crocker's 40th Anniversary Edition Cookbook
- Kelli Greene
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) margarine or butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon or nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 6 cups (1425 ml) dry bread cubes (8 slices bread)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) raisins, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Heat milk and margarine over medium heat until margarine is melted and milk is hot.
- Mix eggs, sugar, cinnamon or nutmeg, and salt in 4 quarts (3775 ml) bowl.
- Stir in bread cubes and raisins.
- Stir in milk mixture.
- Pour into ungreased 1-1/2 quarts (1425 ml) casserole.
- Place casserole in pan on oven rack. Pour very hot water into pan until 1 inch deep.
- Bake, uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean.
- Serve warm and, if desired, with cream.