Serves/Makes:8 servings as a starter course
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) butter or oil
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cumin
- 1 quart (950 ml) chicken stock (or 2 14 oz (392 grm). cans)
- 1 quart (950 ml) fresh or canned tomatoes w/juices, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) commercial Picante Sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) (packed) roughly chopped cilantro
- 8 oz (224 grm). mild cheddar or jack cheese - cut into 1/4" cubes
- 4 corn tortillas - cut into 2 inch by 1/2 inch strips (or substitute bagged Dorito-type corn chips)
- Saute garlic in oil just until softened.
- Add cumin, chicken stock, tomatoes and picante sauce.
- Slow simmer 20 minutes.
- Add cilantro.
- Place tortilla strips or a handful of crushed corn chips and 1 oz (28 grm). cubed cheese in each bowl. Ladle hot soup over and serve.
- Use a mild picante sauce unless you're a fire-eater - then, after
considering the "heat" your guests can handle, the sky's the limit.
To serve a mixed group, place some red chili flakes on the table that
may be sprinkled on individual bowls to boost the heat.