- Biscuits with the sausage cooked right in them. Cream gravy for topping.
- The Northern Exposure Cookbook
- 2 cups (475 ml) bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 cups (475 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Grease cookie sheet.
- In a heavy frying pan, cook sausage until slightly browned, breaking it up with a fork.
- Remove sausage from pan and let drain on paper towels.
- Remove frying pan from heat and allow drippings to cool.
- Combine 2 cups (475 ml) flour,baking powder, and 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt in mixing bowl.
- Crumble in cooked, drained sausage and mix until sausage is well coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs and cream. Add all at once to flour mixture, stirring just enough to moisten dry ingredients. Do not overmix.
- Drop batter by heaping tbspfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes.
- Over low heat, add 1/4 cup (60 ml) flour to pan drippings. Stir with fork until smooth.
- Continue to cook and stir until mixture browns. While stirring gradually add milk.
- Add salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until gravy is smooth, thick, and bubbly.
- Place 2 hot biscuits on a plate and top with hot gravy.
- This is a really good biscuit and gravy recipe. It's the only one that I
've seen with the sausage in the biscuit.