- Pam Smutny
- 6 Tbsp (90 ml). butter
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml). minced onion
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- 3 cups (700 ml) chicken broth
- 2 cups (475 ml) cooked wild rice
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) minced ham or chicken
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) finely grated carrots
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml). chopped slivered almonds
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) half and half or milk
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml). dry sherry (optional)
- minced parsley or chives
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Saute onion until tender.
- Blend in flour; gradually add broth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; boil 1 minute.
- Stir in rice, ham, carrots, almonds and salt; simmer about 5 minutes.
- Blend in half and half and sherry; heat to serving temperature.
- Garnish with minced parsley or chives.