- An excellent way to use over-ripe tomatoes
- 12 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). margarine
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp (60 ml). brown sugar
- 4 tsp (20 ml). ground clove
- 2 tsp (10 ml). salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml). pepper
- 4 tsp (20 ml). chopped basil (or dried)
- 1 pt. Half & Half
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml). liquid smoke
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Gently drop in tomatoes, let stand 5 minutes.
- Remove one at a time and run under cold water to break skin.
- Remove skin, cut into quarters and remove seed.
- Saute onions in margarine until soft.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, sugar, cloves, salt, pepper & basil.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, transfer mixture to blender and puree.
- Add cream and milk, heat through.
- Serve topped with buttered croutons.
- This is a wonderful recipe, although a large amount. I usually
freeze left-overs and sometimes use it in meat loaf or other
recipes that call for tomato base.