- An incredibly moist, dark chocolate cake.
- Susan Reilly
- 4 cups (950 ml) flour
- 2 cups (475 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1-1/3 cups (325 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 cup (225 ml) cocoa
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking soda
- 2 cups (475 ml) cold water
- 3 tsp (15 ml) vanilla
- Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix vanilla, mayonnaise and cold water with whisk and add to dry.
- Beat until mixed well.
- DO NOT OVERBEAT.
- Divide evenly between 3 9 inch layer cake pans that have been buttered and dusted with cocoa AND 6 lined cupcake cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) about 35 minutes.
- This recipe was originally my grandmother's. She told me she got it
during the war. I tinkered with it to increase the intensity of the
chocolate and it is my favorite chocolate "comfort food." It is
particularly good with coffee-flavored frosting (butter frosting flavored
with instant espresso powder dissolved in small amount of warm water).
Can also be prepared in a jelly roll pan for a crowd.