- Carol Welte
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sun-dried tomatoes, dry-packed
- boiling water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). garlic, minced
- 42 oz (1176 grm). ripe tomatoes (or frozen, or canned)
- 1 cup (225 ml) red wine
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh basil, chopped
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml). salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). thyme
- Combine sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water to cover; let stand 5 minutes, then drain.
- Spray bottom of dutch oven w/nonstick vegetable spray and heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, cook 30 seconds.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 1 1/2 hours.
- Puree in batches in food processor, blender, or emersion blender.
- This isn't a recipe from a great, great, great grandmother. But, I also
grow my own vegetables and herbs. Of all the pasta sauce recipes I've
tried, this is the most delicious, especially using the vegetables I grew
myself. This freezes well.