Italian Zucchini Casserole
- Carol Welte
- 1-1/2 zucchini, medium size, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 cloves minced garlic
- 14 oz (392 grm). can tomaoes, diced, undrained (or equivalent of fresh)
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). fresh basil, minced (or 1/2 tsp (2 ml). dried)
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml). fresh oregano, minced (or 1/2 tsp (2 ml). dried)
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml). pepper
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) Stove Top Chicken flavored stuffing mix
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup (90 ml) shredded mozzarella or Jack cheese
- In large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook zucchini tll tender.
- Drain & set aside.
- In same skillet, saute onion & garlic for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic powdedr & pepper.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Gently stir in zucchini.
- Place in ungreased baking diish.
- Top with stuffing mix.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 20 minutes.
- Uncover & sprinkle with grated mozzarella or jack cheese.
- Return to oven for 10 minutes or till golden brown.
- This is a most delicious recipe given to me by my mother, Charlotte Pittman.
What a way to serve your summer zucchini harvest! And, the great news is
that it freezes well and can be quickly reheated in the microwave all through
the winter & tastes even better than the day it was made. YUM!!!!