- Elegant Glazed Ham
- Angela Creighton
Serves/Makes:8 - 10 servings
- 1 fully cooked ham (10 lbs (4.5 kg).)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Dijon mustard
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) Ruby Sauce (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) packed dark brown sugar
- Ruby Sauce:
- 2 cups (475 ml) red currant jelly
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) ruby port wine
- 1 tbsp (15 ml).. finely slivered orange zest
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml). finely slivered lemon zest
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped shallots
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). dry mustard
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). ground ginger
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Bake or boil the ham until heated through.
- Prepare Ruby Sauce by combining all ingredients in a small pot over medium-low heat. Stir frequently until jelly has melted.
- Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes.
- Spread mustard evenly over ham.
- Pour 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) Ruby Sauce over the ham.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake, basting every 15 minutes, until ham is glazed and has a deep rich color, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter, and spoon some sauce over top.
- Serve the remaining sauce on the side.
- A fully cooked corned beef (boil in water until tender) may be
used instead of the ham.