- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk clelry
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic choppped
- 1 lg can tomato puree
- 1 lg can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) red wine (not cooking)
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped lemon peel
- 1 tsp (5 ml) each rosemary,basil, and oregano
- garlic and onion powder,salt and pepper to taste
- sausage or pork meatballs (any meat you like)
- Saute garlic in olive oil, add carrots, celery and onion until lightly colored.
- Add meats to brown.
- Add remaining ingredients, simmer all together, covered, for 2 hours.
- I originally found this recipe from the frugal gourmet but have since adapted
it to suit my own tastes. My family likes it more than my Dad's old Italian