- A delicious spicy creole dish served over steamed rice.
- Patty Johnson
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) shortening
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) flour
- 3-1/2 lbs (1.6 kg). raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml). hot sauce (like Tabasco or Texas Pete)
- 1 tsp (5 ml). Worcestershire sauce
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can tomato sauce
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can of water
- salt, red and black pepper, garlic (all to taste)
- Heat skillet with shortening.
- Add flour.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until rich dark brown.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, celery, green pepper.
- Add tomato sauce and can of water.
- Season with sauces, salt, peppers.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
- Bring up to a boil and add raw shimp.
- Cook 20 minutes more.
- Serve over steamed rice.
- NOTE: If you want to reduce the amount of servings adjust the amount of shrimp leaving the rest of the recipe the same.
- We have used this recipe in our family for over 40 years. It was
given to my Mother by a friend from New Orleans. Add a salad
and some crusty garlic bread and you have a feast.