- Carol Welte
- 4-1/2 cups (1050 ml) flour
- 2 pkgs. active dry yeast (approx. 4-1/2 tsp (20 ml).)
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- In mixing bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) of the flour and the yeast.
- Combine warm water, 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar, and salt.
- Pour over flour mixture.
- Beat with electric mixer at low speed.
- Stir in as much remaining flour as you can mix in with a spoon.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth & elastic, 6 to 8 minutes total.
- Cover, let rise 20 minutes.
- Broil 5 inches from heat 3 to 4 minutes, turning once (tops should not brown).
- Heat 1 gallon (3.8 ltr) water and the 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cook 4 or 5 bagels at a time for 7 min., turning once.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 25 - 30 minutes.
- This is the basic recipe. Add onions, etc., to dough for a variety. Or,
before baking, brush with beaten egg & sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds,