- Reader's Digest "LIKE GRANDMA USED TO MAKE"
Serves/Makes:8 side-dish servings
- 1 cup (225 ml) stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar(optional)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) boiling water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) low-fat(1% milkfat)milk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- In a medium-size bowl, combine cornmeal, sugar (if using), and salt.
- In a thin steady stream, pour boiling water into the cornmeal mixture, stirring constantly.(Batter will be very thick).
- When the water is absorbed, stir in the milk. (Batter will be thin.)
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick griddle or skillet over moderate heat and brush with a little of the oil.
- Using about 1/4 cup (60 ml) batter for each jonnycake, pour batter onto the griddle.(Batter will spread to about 5 inches.)
- Cook about 2 minutes on each side or until golden and crisp around edges.
- If jonnycakes aren't browning quickly enough, increase heat to moderately high.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup.
- Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 17 minutes