- Reader's Digest "LIKE GRANDMA USED TO MAKE"
Serves/Makes:8 main-dish servings
- 6 medium-size beets with tops(about 2 pounds)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cups (1175 ml) lower-sodium beef broth
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) chopped tomatoes or 1 can(141/2 ounces) lower-sodium tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried marjoram leaves
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried dill weed
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) black pepper
- 2 cups (475 ml) shredded cabbage
- 2 cups (475 ml) bite-size pieces cooked beef, pork, or lower-sodium ham
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- Trim leaves from beets, leaving 1 inch of stem attached.
- If beet tops are fresh-looking and reasonably unblemished, reserve them.(Or, substitute 2 cups (475 ml) finely chopped fresh spinach for the beet tops.)
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven, cover beets with lightly salted water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until tender; drain well.
- Cool slightly.
- Peel beets by slipping off skins while still warm.
- Cut beets into 1 1/2 inch x 1/4 inch sticks, measure 4 cups (950 ml).
- Meanwhile, wash beet tops, finely chop, measure 2 cups (475 ml).
- In same pan, melt butter over moderately high heat.
- Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the 2 cups (475 ml) beet tops(or spinach), broth, tomatoes, marjoram, salt, dill weed, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until beet tops are tender.
- Stir in the cabbage, beef, vinegar, and sugar.
- Carefully stir in the cooked beets. Simmer, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes more or until heated through.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- This recipe also offers a quick version by substituting 1
package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, for the
chopped beet tops and 2 cans (15 ounces each) julienne beets,
drained, for the beets.