Jerk Pork with Beans and Rice
- Rice and beans:
- 1 cup (225 ml) long-grain rice
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Fresh pineapple relish:
- 2 cups (475 ml) diced fresh pineapple
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sliced green onions
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). apricot preserves
- 1 pork tenderloin, about 1 lb (.5 kg).
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) apricot preserves
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) jerk sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken broth, defatted*
- 1 ripe papaya, sliced
- Make Rice and Beans:
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Stir in drained beans and heat.
- Make Pineapple Relish:
- Combine all ingredients in bowl.
- Cut pork into 8 equal pieces.
- Between 2 sheets of wax paper, press pieces 1/2 inch thick.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Heat 1 tsp (5 ml) oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add pork and cook, 6 minutes per side until heated through.
- Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining 1 tsp (5 ml) oil to skillet.
- Add onion and cook until softened, 5 minutes.
- Stir in preserves, jerk sauce and broth; boil 1 minute.
- Spoon over pork and papaya.
- *To defat broth: Freeze the broth for 30 minutes until fat solidifies on
- the surface. Remove fat from surface with slotted spoon.
- I actually got this recipe from the Ladies Home Journel e-recipe.