Chicken with Lemon and Gin Marinade
- Kate Ransdell
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) gin
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) dried oregano, crumbed
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 2 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 1/2 pound each
- 2 cups (475 ml) thinly sliced red onion
- In a shallow dish whisk together the lemon juice, gin, oregano, salt, sugar and pepper.
- Add the oil in a stream, whisking until marinade is emulsified.
- Add chicken, coating it well with the marinade and let marinate, covered in the refrigerator for about an hour. Reserve the marinade.
- Grill the chicken on an oiled rack set about 6 inches over glowing coals, for 7 minutes per side.
- While the chicken is grilling, in a heavy skillet combine the reserved marinade and the red onions.
- Boil, covered, over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until onions begin to brown.
- Reduce heat to moderately low and cook, uncovered, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a heated platter and with a slotted spoon, scatter onions around it.