Sun-Dried Tomatoes in Oil
- Fast and Fresh Cookbook by Lucy Waverman
- Italian roma plum tomatoes
- Rock salt
- Olive oil
- Rosemary sprig or dried chilies
- Wash, halve and seed fresh plum tomatoes.
- Place on racks and bake in a 175 degree (80 C.) oven until wrinkled and dry, 16 to 18 hours.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of rock sale in the bottom of a jar.
- Pack in the tomatoes and cover with olive oil, making sure the tomatoes are completely immersed.
- Add a sprig of rosemary or a couple of dried chilies to the oil, if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator for one month before using.
- They last indefinitely in the refrigerator.
- Wait until you get hold of some beautiful, sun-ripened home-grown tomatoes.
Otherwise, use canned whole or pureed, increase the herbs and call it a