- Searchable Online Archive of Recipes Internet Site
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garlic, finely chopped
- 1 med onion, finely chopped
- 3 med carrots, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 med eggplant, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 med turnip, finely chopped
- 8 cups (1900 ml) stock, water, or combination
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz) tomatoes, coarsely chopped, including juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) basil
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) white pepper
- salt to taste
- In a heavy, large pot, over low heat, cook the garlic, onion, carrots, celery, eggplant and turnip until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes, in a little of the stock. Do not brown.
- Add rest of stock/other liquid.
- Over high heat, bring to a boil and skim off any gray foam that rises to the surface.
- Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are crisp-tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Add herbs, pepper and salt.