- Marimar Torres, "The Catalan Country Kitchen" , 1992
- 2 lbs (.9 kg) monkfish, in large whole filets, skin and membranes removed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 3 lg garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lg red bell peppers, cored, seeded, cut into lengthwise strips
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) whole almonds, toasted
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) saffron threads
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fish stock
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) white pepper, or to taste
- 1 oz (28 grm) sliced almonds, toasted, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Bake the fish in a buttered baking pan for 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Cut into medallions and set aside. Reserve the baking juice.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet; add the garlic and peppers, and saute over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Grind whole almonds finely in a food processor and add to the skillet with the saffron, wine, stock, reserved fish juices, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree.
- Return the sauce to the skillet, add the fish medallions, and heat through.
- Serve immediately, with sliced almonds sprinkled on top.
- Nutrition per serving: 370 calories; 34 g protein; 8 g carbohydrate; 23 g fat (3 g saturated); 103 mg cholesterol; 288 mg sodium; 3 g fiber.
Courtesy of Sean Wenzel website.