- A quick casserole that has the same ingredients as cabbage rolls without all the work.
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) instant rice, uncooked
- 1 can spaghetti sauce (save 1/3 for top)
- 1 cup (225 ml) tomato juice
- 1/2 medium sized cabbage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). garlic powder
- pinch of oregano
- pinch of basil
- 1 small onion, diced
- vegetable oil
- Cut cabbage in bite size pieces and boil for 20 minutes or until tender, drain and set aside.
- Fry ground beef, drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl put all ingredients except oil and 1/3 of can of spaghetti sauce and mix until everything is covered with sauce.
- In a large roasting pan or casserole dish grease pan with vegetable oil.
- Pour mixture in dish and add remaining sauce on top.
- Cover and bake about 45 minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.).
- I make mine plain but you can add other ingredients and
experiment. It's a fast but good meal and not a lot of work
like rolling cabbage rolls. This freezes well and works
just as good as a side dish. Hope you enjoy it.