Old Fashioned Potato Soup
- Served at the Plaza Inn, Disney World
- yumyum.com internet site
- 1 med Onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Butter
- 3 med Leeks, white part only
- 2 pounds Potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1 Ham bone, any size
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Thyme leaves, dried
- 6 cups (1425 ml) Chicken or beef stock or water
- 1/2 pint Heavy cream
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Croutons for garnish
- Brown onions to a light golden color in butter in a saucepan.
- Clean leeks well and slice.
- Peel potatoes and slice.
- Add leeks, potatoes, ham bone, thyme and stock (or water) to onion.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are very soft.
- Remove ham bone and discard.
- Cool potato/leek mixture slightly.
- Puree in a food processor blender and return to pot.
- Add cream and cook a few minutes longer.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with croutons.
- Meat on ham bone could be chopped and added with cream.