Frank's Place Crawfish Etouffee
- Searchable Online Archive of Recipes Internet site
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour, all-purpose
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) onion, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) tomato paste
- 2 cups (475 ml) fish stock (see note)
- 1 cup (225 ml) tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups (475 ml) crayfish meat
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (475 ml) hot cooked rice
- Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour until smooth.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes, until roux is dark brown.
- Stir in chopped white and green onions, celery and garlic; cook about 10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste to fish stock.
- Stir into onion mixture.
- Add tomatoes, crayfish, parsley and seasonings; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice.
- Note: Make fish stock from heads and tails of fish and/or crayfish.