Lucile's Crawfish Jambalaya
- Via MealMaster at Searchable Online Archive of Recipes Site
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Canola oil
- 1 cup (225 ml) Onions, chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 pound Crawfish tails (or shrimp)
- 1-1/8 cups (275 ml) Uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Green pepper, chopped
- 2-1/2 tsp (12.5 ml) Salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) Black pepper
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) Cayenne pepper, or to taste
- In a large pot, over medium-low heat, make a roux with flour and oil. Cook, stirring constantly, until roux is golden brown and smooth, at least 20 minutes, preferably longer.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until almost soft.
- Add 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) cold water and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add crawfish and cook about 10 minutes. Note: If using chicken or sausage, cook ingredients longer to ensure they'll be done when rice is done.
- Add more 2 cups (475 ml) water and bring to a boil.
- Add remaining ingredients; stir to blend, but not too much.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and cook about 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- Try not to open lid during final cooking.
- Fluff rice thoroughly with fork before serving.