- Internet Site
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive or vegetable oil
- 2 cups (475 ml) carrots, diced
- 2 cups (475 ml) onion, diced
- 2 cups (475 ml) celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups (700 ml) barley, cooked
- 8 cups (1900 ml) beef broth
- 2 cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes (14 to 16 oz (448 grm). each can)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dry red wine
- 1 tsp (5 ml) thyme leaves (dried)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh parsley, minced
- Optional: splash of balsamic vinegar
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook ground beef on medium-high heat until browned, breaking up with a spatula or fork as it cooks.
- Remove from pan and add oil.
- Add carrots, onion, celery and garlic.
- Cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beef and all remaining ingredients except parsley and optional vinegar.
- Bring to a boil on high heat.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and taste.
- Adjust seasong, adding more salt or pepper, if needed, or a splash of balsamic vinegar if soup needs a little more zip.
- Nutritional information per serving: 429 calories; 19.6 g fat,
6.9 g saturated fat; 81 mg cholesterol; 1,242 mg sodium;
41% calories from fat.