Beef and Vegetable Fried Rice
- Marilee Johnson, Illinois Beef Council via Internet site
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp (5 ml). fresh ginger, grated OR 1/4 tsp (1 ml). ground ginger
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). water
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 6 oz (168 grm). package frozen pea pods
- 3 cups (700 ml) cooked rice, cold
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp (10 ml). sesame oil
- Use large, nonstick pan.
- Add beef, garlic and ginger and cook over medium heat until beef is no longer pink (breaking meat into 3/4-inch crumbles), about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove with slotted spoon; pour off any dripping.
- In same skillet, heat water over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add bell pepper and pea pods.
- Cook 3 minutes, or until bell pepper is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice, soy sauce and sesame oil; mix well.
- Return beef to skillet and heat through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in green onions before serving.