- This lasagne does not contain a red tomato sauce like the typical lasagne does It has a delicious creamy white cheese sauce.
- Libby McBrian
- 1 small onion
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) butter
- 4-1/2 tbsp (70 ml) flour
- 1-1/8 cups (275 ml) parmesan cheese
- 3 cups (700 ml) milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups (475 ml) spinach, zucchini, or other vegetable
- lasagna noodles, partially cooked
- Chop onion into small bits and cook slightly in butter.
- Stir in flour and cook slightly.
- Add cheese and a dash of salt.
- Stir constantly until thickened.
- Stir in milk and continue to cook until thick cream.
- Beat egg yolks in a separate bowl.
- Add a little bit of cheese sauce mixture to eggs and stir quickly to keep eggs from cooking.
- Then pour eggs into cheese mixture and stir vigorously to keep eggs from cooking.
- Once eggs are incorporated into cheese sauce mixture, cook until thick, approximately 10 minutes.
- Layer in casserole as follows:
- vegetable of your choice (spinach or grilled zucchini)
- Cook at 350 degrees (175 C.) until heated through.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- You can add any type of vegetable you like. I have found that I prefer
the zucchini to be slightly grilled before using in lasagne. Enjoy!!!