Beef Patties Italian Style
- Jo & Pete via Searchable Online Archive of Recipes Internet
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). package spaghetti
- salt, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). fresh oregano, chopped OR 1 tsp (5 ml). dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 lb (.1 kg). cheese such as provolone, mozzarella or fontina, sliced
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground beef
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). jar spaghetti sauce
- Cook spaghetti.
- Meanwhile, shape ground beef into 4 oval patties about 1/2-inch thick.
- In large skillet, fry patties until browned on both sides.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Remove patties to platter.
- Add onion to drippings in pan and cook until tender.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and peppers.
- Cook until tender-crisp.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir the oregano and spaghetti sauce into vegetables and heat to boiling.
- Simmer for 1 minute.
- Return beef patties to skillet.
- Top each with a cheese slice and heat through.
- Drain spaghetti and place on serving platter.
- With pancake turner, transfer patties and pour sauce over whole mixture.
- Garnish with fresh oregano if desired.