Maryland Deviled Crab Cakes
- la Hotel des Bains
Serves/Makes:3 or more
- 1 lb (.5 kg). crab meat (white and claw mixed)
- 6 empty hard shell crab shells
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). strained lime juice
- 4 tbsp (60 ml). melted butter
- 3 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). chives
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). lean bacon, minced fine
- 1 cup (225 ml) cream
- 4 dashes Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fine bread crumbs
- 3 slices of soft bread
- Figure two parts crab meat to one part soft bread.
- Moisten bread with cream and bitters mix.
- Saute garlic, shallots and pepper, with bacon.
- Mix everything thoroughly, stuff shells previously coated with olive oil.
- Cover with fine bread crumbs, dot with butter or olive oil, brown around 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Seasoning is always to taste, of course, but these are better if a little peppery.