- Kate Ransdell
- 1 3-ounce package vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) mascarpone cheese
- 2-3/4 cups (650 ml) Cool Whip
- 1 angel food cake loaf
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) hot water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) brandy
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Kahlua
- Garnish: cocoa
- Combine pudding mix and milk in saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add mascarpone cheese, beat at low speed with electric mixer until smooth.
- Fold in 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) Cool Whip and set aside.
- Slice angel food cake in half horizontally.
- Cut each layer into 16 equal rectangles and set aside.
- Dissolve instant coffee granules in hot water, stir in brandy and Kahlua.
- Brush coffee mixture over tops and bottoms of cake pieces.
- Line bottom and sides of a 3-quart trifle bowl or souffle dish with cake pieces; cover with half of the pudding mixture.
- Repeat procedure with remaining cake and pudding mixture, ending with pudding mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate AT LEAST 8 hours, preferrably overnight.
- Spread remaining 1 cup (225 ml) Cool Whip over top and garnish with sprinkling of cocoa.
- You could reduce the calories and fat grams considerably by substituting
skim milk for the whole milk and by substituting the mascarpone with
1 8 oz. package reduced fat cream cheese, 3 tablespoons reduced fat sour
cream and 2 tablespoons skim milk. This saves about 5.4 fat grams and
46 calories per serving.