- 2 lbs (.9 kg). pea beans
- 1 lb (.5 kg). Salt pork (can use bacon)
- 8 Tbls. sugar
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) molasses
- 2 tsp (10 ml). dry mustard
- 4 tsp (20 ml). salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Quarts (1900 ml) Bean Pot or as close as possible
- Wash beans in colander; cover with water and soak overnight.
- In the morning rinse the beans and drain.
- Place beans in saucepan and just cover with water.
- Parboil beans for 10 minutes with 1 tsp (5 ml). of baking soda.
- Run cold water through the beans in a colander.
- Dice rind of Salt pork (or bacon) into one inch squares.
- 1/2 Place of salt pork and 1/2 of the diced onion on the bottom of the bean pot.
- Place all the beans on top of the salt pork and onion.
- Put the rest of the salt pork and onion on top of the beans.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients with hot water and pour over the beans. (Should just cover the beans).
- Bake at 300 degrees (150 C.) for about 6 hours--Add water as necessary to keep moist only.