- Zinfandel Cookbook
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) curry powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground coriander
- 4 cups (950 ml) peeled, diced butternut squash
- 1 large Golden Delicious apple, cored, peeled, and sliced
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 6 cups (1425 ml) chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and white pepper
- Melt butter in 5-qt. pan over medium heat.
- Add onion; cover and cook, stirring once or twice, for five minutes or til soft but not brown.
- Stir in curry powder, ginger, and coriander and cook one minute.
- Add squash, apple, carrot, stock and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Pour off and reserve 1 cup (225 ml) of the liquid. (If you have an immersible hand-blender you may omit the last step and puree in he pan...don't forget to remove the bay leaf first!)
- In a foood processsor or blender, puree soup, one portionat a time, until smoth.
- Return to pan, add reserved cooking liquid until soup is of desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper'
- To serve, garnish with chopped hazelnuts or sliced almonds as desired.
- This is an excellent, easy recipe for a low fat, tasty nutritious winter soup.