- 1 med head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 stalk of celery,finely chopped
- 1 lb (.5 kg). sausage
- 1 can stewed tomatos
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) garlic
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- Note: amounts are approximate. Adjust to taste.This is a sweet soup.
- Brown the sausage in a pot and remove, leaving the drippings.
- Add 1 cup (225 ml) of water and bouillon cube to the drippings and let the bouillon cube dissolve.
- Cook the cabbage, carrot, celery and onion in the drippings/liquid.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and simmer about an hour.
- This is a sweet, spicy soup so be generous with the seasonings in order
to really appreciate the flavor. The longer this soup sits, the better
it tastes--makes a good leftover.