- Patty Johnson
Serves/Makes:Makes 10 Cups
- 2-Inch Cube Salt Pork, diced small
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 4 Medium Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Cups (475 ml) corn kernels
- 3 Cups (700 ml) milk
- 3 Tbs (45 ml). butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cook the salt pork slowly in a deep pan until the fat has melted and the pieces are brown.
- Pour off all but 2 tbsp (30 ml) of fat.
- Add onion. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and 3 cups (700 ml) water and cover.
- Cook until potatoes are just tender.
- Add the corn and milk.
- Cook 5 minutes more.
- Before serving, add the butter, salt and pepper to taste.
- You can use the commercially frozen corn, but fresh summer corn is better.
This is a recipe from THE FANNIE FARMER COOKBOOK, my souce for many old