- Better Homes & Gardens Barbecue Book, 1956
- 1 cup (225 ml) sliced onion
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 8 frankfurters
- 5 cups (1175 ml) pork and beans
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) molasses
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) prepared mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced or 1 cup (225 ml), drained, canned tomatoes
- Cook onion in hot butter till tender but not brown.
- Slice 2 of the frankfurters in rounds.
- Combine with the beans, molasses, mustard and salt.
- In a greased 2-quart casserole, alternate layers of the bean and frankfurter mixture with tomato and onion.
- Arrange the remaining frankfurters in spoke fashion on top.
- Bake in a 350 degree (175 C.) oven for 30 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
- Dip spoon deep down for slices of hot dog, tomato, and onion between l
ayers of beans. Top with hot dogs, have brown bread or hot corn sticks
with this yummy dish.